ESO HQ, Garching by Munich, Germany
9th + 10th July 2013
Tuesday 9th July:
12:30 lunch (not provided, but available at MPI canteen)
14:00 - 14:30: Introduction
- Welcome, logistics - O. Hainaut
- Brief overview of what we know about 67P/CG from ground-based data so far, what we can expect in 2014/5, Rosetta timeline and CG observability. - C. Snodgrass
14:30 - 16:30: Science goals
- Details on Rosetta plans
- Overview of what mission hopes to achieve / measure
- Specific Rosetta instrument goals that need ground based support.
- OSIRIS - C. Tubiana C.Snodgrass
- VIRTIS - G.-P. Tozzi
- MIRO - N.Biver
- Dust - ACLR.
- Science from long term observation campaigns
- Understanding overall activity with distance. - G.-P. Tozzi 1 2
- Dust coma evolution, dust grain physics. - J. Agarwal
- Icy grains - A. Guilbert-Lepoutre
- Stochastic activity (small outbursts)
- Dynamics (non-grav. forces determination)
- others & discussion
16:30 - 18:00: Required observations
- What has already been arranged
- ESO/ESA deal details - O. Hainaut
- Other planned programmes (NOT, Turkey, … ) - to be filled
- What is missing
- Discussion sort of further observations are required (e.g. spectroscopy)
Prepare a “wish list”
19:30: Dinner in Garching (Gasthof Neuwirt -in the garden)
Wednesday 10th July:
11:00: Available facilities
What telescopes and instruments are available? How can they be accessed (dedicated CG campaign? Regular proposals [what deadlines]?)
- ESO facilities. - O. Hainaut / C. Snodgrass /
- UVES - E.Jehin
- Liverpool Telescope. - John Marchant
- TRAPPIST - Cyrielle Opitom
- Lulin observatory - Zhong-Yi Lin
- Faulkes Telescopes and outreach - Nick Howes
- OPTICON ( new ) - J. Davies (via Colin)
- ALMA , other radio/sub-mm - N.Biver
- Pic du Midi - F. Colas
- Other La Palma & Hawaii facilities? Elsewhere (US mainland, other Chile, Australia, South Africa, other small European)?
- orbital platforms (HST? Swift? etc.) ?
11:30 - 13:00: Required observations (part 2)
- Matching “wish list” to possible facilities
- Timeline of observations
- How to balance load across telescopes
- Focussed periods of observation vs long monitoring campaigns
- A mateur astronomer contribution
- coordination, communication with pro teams. - A. Heward, N. Howes
13:00: Lunchv(not provided, but available at MPI canteen)
13:45 - 14:00: Outreach
- Outreach opportunities and plans? what are the plans?
A. Heward , S. Miller, M. Taylor, O.Hainaut
14:00 - 15:00: Next steps:
- Teams to prepare proposals / observe / work on data sets.
- Strategy for continued coordination:
- coordinated proposals?
- data sharing?
- observation reporting?
- communication with Rosetta team and wider community?
- further meetings (when/where)?
15:00 Close of meeting